Friday, October 8, 2010

Hotel Silken Puerta America Madrid

In researching conceptual designs I came across this Madrid hotel, below is a blurb from their website explaining the design behind the hotel. In researching the hotel I found so many elements to it that I found so inspiring and interesting.

'The Hotel Silken Puerta América Madrid is a space that invites people to dream - a neverbeen- attempted-before project that has brought together nineteen of the top architecture and design studios in the world from thirteen different countries. Originality, luxury, innovation and formal freedom define a hotel that awakens its guests’ senses. Each of the floors showcases a different concept in hotel rooms. All play with different materials, colours and shapes to create spaces that bring together the best in avant-garde design and architecture, where creativity and the freedom to develop each of the spaces has been the hallmark.'





I like the shapes made by changing the angle of the glass and mirrors in all these pictures, I think it divides the space in an interesting way and could be used in my design in the library/entrance area to create an interesting divide. This floor is designed by Plasma Studio. 






I Love how the furniture and elements in the bedroom and bathroom all come out from the wall as a single piece, I think it looks sleek and very ergonomic. It makes the space look like it grew from an organic form. This floor is from designer Zaha Hadid.




The feature I like about this room is the lighting, how it comes from an unlikely source, such as the wall or bed side table, The colours are also unusual and gives the room an interesting atmosphere. The room is designed by Richard Gluckman. 




I think the lighting and finish on the walls turn the space into a large and easily forgettable one into something very interesting to move through and experience. With my space being relatively large, finishes and elements like this would really enhance it. The red hallway is designed by Marc Newson and the darker hallway by David Chipperfield. 




These are images from the basement of the hotel and gave me the idea of including graphic elements in the studio space to my design, because it is a graphic design studio this is very fitting. 




Finally as a reception area I think this wall is very interesting, in my design I have a partition to seperate the library from the business side and then the client meeting area from the studio space, so an interesting divider like this would work really well. It also creates interesting spaces within the larger space. It is designed by John Pawson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment